Tuesday, May 22, 2012

New Drawings from Cedar Falls/Waterloo, Iowa

I've been consumed by gardening the past two weeks, since I returned form my  trip to San Luis Obispo, California. Finally, last week, I was able to get some drawing done on my hometown turf.

Here's one from downtown Waterloo (the twin city to Cedar Falls). All winter long, every time I'd be over in Waterloo, I knew that when the weather turned warm enough to draw outside, this pump station, the Waterloo Waterworks building, with its chalky white smokestack, would be at the top of my must-draw list. I've included more of the little that I could cull about this building on my flickr post.

Waterloo Waterworks Pump Station
The peonies are blooming! A neighbor has a wonderful bed planted on the boulevard between the sidewalk and the street. One can't procrastinate when it comes to drawing flowers. These are now droopy and faded, only a few days later. Do other communities have flower beds like this? Technically, it's City property, but each property owner is responsible for mowing and/or tending it.

Peonies on the Boulevard
Peonies on the Boulvard
  

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful sketches, Marcia! The white smoke stack is very distinctive. And I love the different planes in peonies sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alex! I'm a sucker for smokestacks. My challenge to myself when I embarked with this composition was to define foreground, middle ground & background through placement AND tone.

      Delete
  2. I love BOTH of these--the waterworks is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I was attracted to the mid-century geometry of this place and how the light struck it. Tracking down information on this place took more time then doing the drawing. But once I talked with Mr. Craft--the now retired, 30-year manager for the Waterloo Water Dept, it was worth the sleuthing journey. He gave me some great tips for future sketching sights: his favorite water towers in the area.

      Delete
    2. I'll look forward to seeing the results, Marcia!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...